Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Anniversaries

Dear Dan,

Rule #1: Sometimes people die.

Rule #2: Death cannot be cured.

Rule #3: Doctors cannot change Rule #1 or Rule #2.

I know that. This is the 22nd anniversary of Dad's death. Sometimes it feels like this happened a moment ago and sometimes it feels like an eon ago. I think of where you were and what you were doing, where I was and what I was doing, how we were told, etc.

This is one more reason I've been feeling weepy recently -- aside from what I posted on my other blog.

So this year I'm toasting dad's life and your life. Hopefully, the two of you are together and have talked it all out.

I am going to think about Alex. Her birthday is today and it's a happy thing -- for me if not for her. I'll send her a card and be happy for the fact that she was brought into this world. I am lucky to have her as a close friend, even though we don't see each other.

I am going to spend some time doing something for A'ndrea. She won't get a chance to shovel her own walk and we don't want her getting fined. Doing this -- as much as I hate the snow -- will be a way of expressing thank for her being such a good friend as well.

I am determined to get away from the weepies and make this day better in thanks to all those I am thankful for having in my life, no matter how transient it all might be.

Thank you for having been on this planet for 52 years.

I love you and miss you, bro.

0 comments: