Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Fall is here

Dear Dan,

Fall is here and of course that makes me think of you. Why? Because everything does? Nope! Because you always loved that first snap of crisp fall weather.

As you know I'm a summer kind of girl but I must admit there is something very nice about September and, as a general rule, early October weather. The cooler days but not yet cold nights, days when a light sweater is enough to keep you warm, there's really something very nice about it. Maybe it's the not swimming in humidity every time I move. 

It's also the harbinger of the start of school. It wasn't the classes that were so great, but I loved the shopping for school clothes and school supplies. There's still something about school supplies that I love. That section of a store will drag me over every time.

The color of the turning leaves is always pretty but more than that I love the smell of burning leaves. Too bad you're not really allowed to burn leaves anymore around here. Every once in a while I still get lucky enough to pass a pile of burning leaves somewhere in the outlying area.

Your birthday at the end of the month was always fun when we were kids. Since yours often fell during the week, mom would bake a cake and take it to your grade school class. When I was young enough  not be in my own class, I used to tag along. The one cake that stands out is the turtle. I remember the black licorice she used to decorate the flippers.

Playing over in the barn in the fall was fun as well. There was something nicer about the barn in fall; I'm not sure what it was. Remember the red fox that lived in the area near that fallen tree next door? Walking through Elsie's "wilderness" on the other side and "fishing" from that rock, hanging over the old stump looking at the trout -- those were some of our favorite fall afternoon pastimes.

It was also around this time when we were in college that I baked the bread you loved. I baked before that but this is when you told me you loved the rye.

This is the time of year I think about our after school times together. These were the last lazy days of hanging out before cold weather set in. These are the days that remind me of you more than any other time of the year.

I love you and miss you more every passing day.

0 comments: