Friday, August 7, 2009

Spread over years

Dear Dan,

There are a couple memories I have of you that developed over years. One is of a phone call in the night.

Dad was out of town (so when wasn't he?) and had not called that evening as he should have done. Mom was antsy. I think Dad might have been in Nam. That same evening I was expecting a call from Kathy but it never came.

Later that night while we were asleep, the phone rang. In my dream I heard mom saying it was for me. I woke up yelling "OK!" When I realize I had been dreaming, I laid awake listening. Your room was across the hall and I expected you to make some comment about my silliness. Nothing.

The next morning there was still no comment and I soon forgot about series of events.

That is until one Christmas after Dad died. We were sitting and talking about Dad's travels, especially during wartime. Mom brought up how he always called at the same time in the evening. There were a couple of times when he couldn't and those times made her very tense.

I told about that one call I remembered. You looked at me and said "That was you??" Apparently you woke from a sound sleep hearing "OK!!" and then heard nothing after that. You thought it was some part of your imagination that woke you up so you just giggled to yourself and went back to sleep.

0 comments: